Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Flora and bugs of Cameron Highlands

Almost exactly a month ago I went up the mountains with a couple of academicians from the National University of Malaysia for a Seminar on Engineering Mathematics. Naturally they spend most of the time either working on their papers or sleeping, and since I am not geek-blooded (at least not entirely) I decided to take some break from my working on a time series segmentation algorithms Powerpoint slide presentation and walked around Strawberry Park Resort for some nature-y (diction by Tryna) photosnaps... this time, more flowers than bugs, but there are bugs nonetheless.

I might be a nature-y kind of guy, but I confess: I know almost zilch of the names of flowers and bugs, so much help is needed on the identification of these wonderful flora and arthropods.

Strawberrypark2 065.jpg

A yellow orchid-type flower with some highland dew on the petals. I like this one especially because of the dewdrops.

Strawberrypark2 064.jpg

A blue moth-type insect on a tea leaf. This was taken at a tea plantation. Cameron Highlands is famous for its tea and tea plantations.

Strawberrypark2 046.jpg

A bug on a sunflower.

Strawberrypark2 043.jpg

An ant on a sunflower next to the sunflower in the above photo.

Strawberrypark2 027.jpg

I chased this ant around with my camera before I get a good shot of it. There are a couple more shots of this ant but they're not in focus of the ant because of the lack of manual focus in a point-and-shoot.

Strawberrypark2 041.jpg

Some kind of purple flower thingy.

Strawberrypark2 031.jpg

Reminded me of dandelions in the U.S.

Spider on web

I was taking the photo above this one when I saw something floating in the air. It was a spider on its web, very small and almost invisible. Taking this shot was almost impossible because the camera kept focusing on the background. But at last it managed to focus on the spider so I'm happy.

Strawberrypark2 033.jpg

The spider then noticed me I guess so it ran away, but not before I managed to get one more shot. Notice the fine spider silk attached to the tip of the grass seed.

Strawberrypark2 040.jpg

Some fern leaves. I love the pattern I see in this photo, reminded me of Maths and Geometry.

Strawberrypark1 058.jpg

Some kind of flower in a pot. I'd say it's a relative of the bougainvillea, but I might be totally wrong.

Strawberrypark1 054.jpg

The same flower viewed from the top. I love the symmetry that I saw when I looked at the flower from above.

Strawberrypark1 045.jpg

Purple flower buds. I got some shots of fully-bloomed ones but they aren't good... I did not key in the proper settings on the camera.

Strawberrypark1 028.jpg

Some yellow flower thingie (I sound like a bimbo now. darn.)

Strawberrypark1 024.jpg

Reminded me of a durian. These are really small, I found them around a small man-made pond.

Strawberrypark1 016.jpg

A gigantic pink hibiscus. Almost the size of my face.

Strawberrypark2 083.jpg

A... pink chrysanthemum-type flower thingie? I need lessons.

Strawberrypark2 066.jpg

No idea what this is but I thought it looked cool so I snapped a photo of it.

...

Ok so I've been doing a lot of photo posts. Hope you aren't sick of them yet 'coz there might be more coming.

I'll do some writing next, for a break. Maybe for one or two posts at least.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Ping Your Podcast