Sunday, November 07, 2010

Wet Dragonfly

The morning was a wet one, it having rained the night before. I spied around for subjects to shoot, and just next to my shoulder was this dragonfly resting on a leaf.


Since it was morning and the sun wasn't too harsh, I was able to shoot this dragonfly without too much overexposure on the surroundings. I tried my best to make sure I can capture the details on the eyes, the torso and some of the wings, especially the dewdrop on its right hind wing.


I like photographing dragonflies for a few reasons. First, they are big, bright and colorful, so you don't need to be too close to capture the beautiful details. Second, they are not easily frightened, probably because they are predator insects, so as long as you don't disturb them or touch them, they'll stay in that one spot. Three, their flight paths are predictable --- they will stop and stay at the same spots after they've flown around the area, so you can actually expect where they will land next if you've observed one long enough.

I hope you liked these dragonfly photos I captured a couple weeks ago. For other dragonfly photos I captured in the past, you can visit the following posts:

Re-chasing Dragonflies (July 2009)
Insects Mating After Feb 14th (February 2010)

Comments and/or critique are welcome!


blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Ping Your Podcast