Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My Personal Issues with 1Malaysia Theme

I have issues with the 1Malaysia theme: Rakyat Didahulukan, Pencapaian Diutamakan

Generally, the theme translates to 'People First, Achievements Prioritized'




I'm keeping all my political inclinements aside (you should too) for the moment as I'm typing this.

I have issues with the theme. I don't like it. In my opinion, it's inappropriate, it sounds weird, and it gives the wrong messages.

Please put away the parangs and the torches and bear with me for a while.

I have said that the issues are entirely personal. And here they are:


1. As a theme for the National Day 2009, it's just too long. It's the predominantly the longest theme so far (compare the lengths here). Plus, 1Malaysia is not even a word.

2. National Day themes are usually meant to inspire the people to greatness (see past years themes here). Look at this year's theme. Do you think it's meant to inspire the people, or to reflect the aspirations of the government?

3. 'Rakyat Didahulukan' ('People First'). When someone is put first, someone else is put behind. This part of the theme begs the question: who's being sidelined here? The foreigners? Non-taxpayers? The Nine Rulers? The government? Government cronies? Like I said, wrong message here.

4. Also on this year's 'Rakyat Didahulukan'. It's as if previously the rakyat (people) wasn't first, this year we'll start being first. So it some ways, it gives the message that the government has not been putting the rakyat first. Also it kind of in some ways acknowledge some people's opinion on the government not putting the rakyat's interests first. It gives the message that the government wants to change to a 'people first' government, and saying that this change is for the better acknowledges the existence of bad governance in the past. Again, wrong message here.

5. 'Pencapaian Diutamakan' ('Achievements Prioritized'). This sounds like some milestones have been set and we must achieve and possibly go beyond those milestones. And achieving these milestones must be prioritized. Sounds so... corporate governance. This is not the rakyat's aspiration. This sounds more for an organized body than the general public. An organized body like the Cabinet, the government departments, et cetera. Again, this is more about the government's aspiration instead of the rakyat's.

In general, my issue with the theme is that the theme is more suited for to promote the government's aspirations and goals. The National Day is for the rakyat. Let us have a theme for us instead. After all, we the rakyat should be first, right?

What do you think about the theme for Malaysia's 52nd National Day celebrations?

...

P/S: Some may judge me as narrow-minded, ignorant, leftist etc for posting this. I say let them judge. I know who I am, inside and outside.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Ping Your Podcast