Friday, October 19, 2012

Colorful Light Painting [Photography]

Another one of my many explorations in photography is light painting. It requires a camera that is able to capture long exposures --- shutter speeds that are slow enough that the exposure is more than a second up to a few hours, maybe even more.

There are many different types of light painting photos --- some incorporate the background or landscape it is set in, others include the person who does the light painting. The type that I experimented with involve a simple dark background, so that the one and only feature in the photo would be the light painting itself.

For the following photos, I used a simple toy with colorful blinking lights that changes color rapidly.


It's a 8-buck toy that I purchased at the Kg Kuantan Fireflies Complex

I prefocused my camera to a certain distance, and set the exposure to either 5, 10 or 20 seconds, depending on how elaborate I wanted my light painting to be. I used minimal ISO (either 100 or 200) so that I don't get noise in the photo due to an underexposed background. The aperture is set to be 3.5 or above so that I don't get any bokeh effects from the lights.

Room was set to almost total darkness, for safety purposes.

Below are some selected light painting photos from my quick experimentation:






If you look carefully you can see that some might contain some bokeh effects, others are a bit overexposed. Of course, I require a lot more practice and experimentation with this technique before I really get the hang of it.

What do you think of my light paintings here? Any comments and suggestions will be very much appreciated!

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Ping Your Podcast