Tuesday, August 09, 2011

[Macro] Red Weaver Ants Swarming a Lizard


I took this photo last weekend when I joined a photo outing organized by the folks at MY Challenge 2011.

One of my students, Chien Teng, saw a  swarm of red weaver ants (oecophylla smaragdina) dragging a dead lizard up a tree to their nest. I of course, being some snap happy photo hobbyist fond of shooting these insects (as evidenced by my multiple posts about them) braved through the countless bites by these ants on my arms and legs to take macro shots of them at work. One of the results is the photo above.

I used a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 lens with a macro converter attached so that I can move the lens closer to the subject, which also means I was very vulnerable to attacks by the same swarm that killed the lizard.

I particularly like this shot because of one detail: One ant was dragging the lizard by the eye.

I look forward to your feedback regarding the photo above. Hope you like it as much as I do :)


blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Ping Your Podcast