Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Dead fly


Dead fly, originally uploaded by ihsankhairir.

This was one of my first attempts at macro photography using the reverse lens technique. For people who love taking closeup shots but don't have enough lettuce in the fridge for a dedicated macro lens, this is one of the cheapest ways to achieve to a certain degree the kinds of shots a camera with a macro lens can capture.

This is a photo of a dead fly. COD is pesticide spray. Place is a white tile floor of a kitchen.

For this shot I used a handheld reversed 18-55mm kit lens on a Nikon D60 camera. Aperture was set at maximum (F3.5 manually using the index finger on the aperture lever). Flash was built-in popup flash so there's a bit of shadow on the bottom of the pic that I cropped out. As for the focal length I'm not sure since the lens was reversed, but on the lens itself I set at somewhere between 40-50mm. Not sure that translates to how much with the lens reversed.

Since I was just holding the reversed lens with my hand, the shot was difficult to take. I am now looking to see if I can get a Nikon F-mount 52mm reverse ring. Once I get my hands on that piece of accessory (plus maybe an external flash) you can expect the return of the bug shots from me. For now, this will do.



1 comment:

  1. Very nice!

    And, of course, now I have to see what kind of fly pics I can capture with my camera and reverse lens macro. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Ping Your Podcast